One of Tucson’s most successful clinical research sites is recruiting for a full-time, experienced Principal Investigator/Physician to serve as the primary operating authority for our very successful Clinical Research Center. The successful candidate may also manage a part-time primary care practice, will be licensed as a Medical Doctor in the State of Arizona, and have at least five years of experience as a Sub-Investigator (Sub I) or as a Principal Investigator conducting clinical research.
In addition, with the recent retirement of our owner, the successful candidate may be perfectly positioned to assume ownership of the practices over a 2-3 year period.
The principal investigator (PI) is responsible for overseeing one or more clinical trials. The PI is responsible for carrying out Study Protocols, responding to inquiries from Research Sponsors and Contract Research Organizations, and generally ensuring that all trials are executed according to plan and relevant standards of care. The PI may also play a role in examining data and preparing reports.
The PI may provide some or all of the following:
- Maintain thorough knowledge of clinical trial protocols, HIPAA, GCP and ICH guidelines.
- Maintain all Essential Documents in Investigative Site Files, whether electronic or paper filing systems.
- Participate in recruitment and pre-screening activities including record review and mailing of Informed Consent Forms to potential subjects utilizing all resources available.
- Carry out the Informed Consent Process and document as required by SOP.
- Conduct study procedures in accordance with protocol, including measurement of vital signs, performance of ECG, questionnaires assessments, evaluation of subject diaries, adverse events, concomitant medications.
- Create source documents and record all necessary clinic visit procedures and notes in these documents.
- Dispense investigational medication, calculate compliance and maintain accountability records.
- Report all adverse events, whether serious or not, to the QLMC Director of Research so that immediate patient care can be implemented and appropriate Safety Reporting can be documented.
- Provide medical advice or care to participants as it pertains to the study;
- Ensure that all the documentation for a trial has been recorded properly and accurately;
- Help to identify research opportunities, assisting in preparation, application submission and ensuring study compliance and execution occurs once the study is approved;
- Analyzes, recommends and supports practices seeking to improve performance on Quality Assurance (QA) measures to engage in work redesign, changes in research systems, policies and procedures, and quality improvement process within the department and organization;
Principal investigators can oversee several clinical trials simultaneously, depending on the size and labor intensity of the studies. Additionally, principal investigators may also serve as practicing doctors that see patients day-to-day beyond the clinical trials they are overseeing.
The successful candidate will be licensed as a Medical Doctor in the State of Arizona and have at least 5 years’ combined experience as a Principal Investigator or a Sub-Investigator, with at least two of those years as a Principal Investigator.
Specifically, the successful candidate will possess:
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of clinical research methodologies and the ability to assist in care of clinical research participants;
- Knowledge of Good Clinical Practice (GCP), ICH Guidelines, and Code of Federal Regulations as they relate to clinical research;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to manage multiple duties with close attention to detail;
- Basic skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications. Familiarity with “Clinical Conductor” is a plus.
- All clinical skills one would expect from a practicing physician.
- Excellent patient care skills
- Ability to work with a team and handle multiple projects
- Excellent organizational, data management, and documentation skills
We are an established Clinical Trials Site and integrated medical center in the City of Tucson. Over our 20-year history we have conducted over 200 clinical trials. Our experience executing the Moderna Clinical Trials for the COVID-19 vaccine brought us national and local media attention as the highest enrolling site in the United States, having enrolled almost 1,000 participants. Our facilities and our staff are perfectly poised to grow our Research Organization for the next decade. You can find much more information about our staff and capabilities at https://qlmc.com/.
Our co-located sister company, Quality of Life Medical Centers provides primary and other care, and permits access to a data base of thousands of patients, many of whom elect to participate in our clinical trials.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary: Negotiable depending on mutual interests and experience.
- Alternatively can be positioned as a contract position.
- Two weeks paid time off (PTO)
- 401(k) with match.
- Health, Dental and Vision insurance available.
- Annual allowance for professional development.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: From $125,000.00 per year
- Health insurance
- Primary Care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Tucson, AZ 85712: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
Work Location: In person